Wednesday 17 July 2013

Awesome and Grewsome!

Starting with Puss catty news, it has of course grew some more! And here is a picture at 7 days, followed by one at 9 days old.

Puss larva (7 days)

Puss larva (9 days)

It is looking very much like how it will be when fully grown.

It is 9 days since my last post, and so much has happened that I do not really know how to represent the number of "goodies" that I have found.

I shall start with one that is truly awesome for us.  There is a quite common moth called a Narrow-bordered 5-spot Burnet. There were literally thousands of them at the wet fields on Ludlow road, several dozens on each flower head of the brambles, as shown here.

Narrow-bordered 5-spot Burnets

It was thus a total surprise that I flashed my net as one flew past me, (because it looked different) - and it was! It was the very rare, yellow form citrina.  This has caused a stir amongst some people.

The rare form citrina

If that was not enough, yesterday I found an Emperor Moth larva near Wildmoor pool - a species that has been declining, and in the trap was a (worn) Oak Eggar. .

Emperor Moth larva

Oak Eggar

With more than 60 species in the trap each time, there have been several new moths for us and no time now to include more.

No comments:

Post a Comment