Saturday 15 September 2012

And Mines a Leaf!


I do not usually run my light 2 nights running as it allows the moths to get away from the site, but because of last night's power cut I decided to give it a go.

Flounced Chestnut
I was rewarded by a Flounced Chestnut and like Mike, a Brindled Green. This moth comes in a variety of shades of green, brown and blackish so it is interesting to compare our examples.











Brindled Green

Well, although I posted a couple of leaf miners yesterday, the caterpillar below, is not one which "mines a leaf".



It actually rolls up the edges of a leaf (in this case a blackberry) and belongs to the tortrix family.


Unfortunately I am unable to identify it, but will ask the audience - or even phone a friend! I shall try to keep it alive and hope to breed it through to adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment